Director of Communications and Marketing
About Education Leaders of Color
Education Leaders of Color (EdLoC) is a membership-based nonprofit organization dedicated to dramatically increasing the number and influence of effective, values-aligned, third-way Black and Latino leaders in high-level positions in education and adjacent fields where they can be a transformative force in the lives of children, families, and communities. By advancing leaders, aligning them with EdLoC’s Values, and directly investing in them through our new philanthropic arm, the Boulder Fund, we help position and equip leaders of color to break through the polarization in the sector and lead inclusive and sustainable efforts that meaningfully improve the school and life outcomes of students.
Our community is comprised of more than 300 leaders of color across 30 states, who are executive directors, district and state level system leaders, board members, elected officials, professors, and entrepreneurs who have a track record of success working in and outside of education -- in schools and school systems (both traditional and charter schools), non-profit and consulting organizations, community organizations, academia and politics. Learn more about EdLoC at http://www.edloc.org/
Help us Tell Our Story and Elevate the Voice of People of Color
We are currently seeking a Director of Communications to support our small team and our regional networks in Denver, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York, Washington, DC, among others. As the Director of Communications, this leader will develop and execute the marketing and communications strategy for our entrepreneurial organization.
The Director of Communications develops materials about EdLoC and its members, keeps our 300+ members updated on organizational news, professional and grant opportunities, and educational research, and supports our regional networks across 10 sites. This role will help EdLoC shape our messages and image and develop and execute our strategy to spread our values in the field.
- Develop and execute EdLoC’s communications strategy, including the annual announcement of Boulder Fund grants
- Create and manage a wide range of marketing materials and content (flyers, posters, email messages, etc.)
- Write and edit blog posts, articles, press releases, proposals, PowerPoint presentations, and reports
- Proactively generate content to publicize our work (e.g., quotes, interviews, photos, videos, graphics, etc.)
- Oversee and regularly update our website and social media platforms
- Manage EdLoC’s editorial calendar and regular emails and newsletters
- Craft clear, compelling communications to our members and external stakeholders and strive to maintain a voice that brings together “the head” (data and research) and “the heart” (our direct connection to communities of color) and is reflective of our values
- Build tools and resources that help our community of leaders of color expand their impact and effectiveness
- Train EdLoC staff in essential communications and branding skills
- Coordinate with designers, printers, photographers, videographers, developers, and other contractors
- Assist with convenings and events and media relations as necessary
Qualified candidates will have/be:
- Inspired by EdLoC’s mission and excited about sharing our work with others
- 3+ years of experience in marketing, branding, public relations and/or strategic communications
- Experience developing a marketing and communications strategy for an entrepreneurial organization
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with a passion for clear language and clean and consistent design
- Experience developing a messaging framework to guide message and brand/image
- Highly creative and innovative
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage and multi-task across many projects
- Obsessively attentive to detail
- Completely comfortable with technology and social media
- Comfortable working in a virtual environment, supporting staff at multiple sites
- Prior experience in education or social services and proficiency with design tools are a plus
- Alignment to EdLoC's Values and Culture and consistently models these values, including supporting an inclusive culture that invites diverse perspectives, demonstrating new, “third-way” thinking, and direct communication
- Motivates and influences colleagues, members, and others to take action
- Self-motivated and demonstrates persistence and ingenuity
- Rejects polarization and false binaries
- Impact-focused and able to achieve short- and long-term goals
- Operates with humility and is self-reflective, flexible, and open to feedback
- Entrepreneurial spirit able to thrive in a fast-paced and achievement-oriented environment
Location and Travel
This position is ideally based in one of our regional network cities (Denver, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York or Washington, DC.) but there may be flexibility to work from a home office anywhere in the United States. This role is full time, is available immediately and reports directly to the Executive Director. Regular travel will be required.
What We Offer
Compensation is competitive and based upon experience in a similar position with the potential for a performance-based bonus. EdLoC offers a dynamic team of colleagues, a community that values professional development, feedback, learning, and collaboration as well as a comprehensive benefits package– including low cost medical, dental, and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses, generous vacation time, and a 401(k) plan. More importantly, this role offers the opportunity to shape the direction of an innovative, mission-driven organization that is committed to elevating the voice, leadership, and influence of people of color in education in order to improve the educational and life outcomes of Black and Latino students.
EdLoC is pleased to partner with Stronger Consulting Inc.
Please review the EdLoC Third-Way Values at http://edloc.org/#about-parallax
Upload your resume, a brief statement (250 words or less) about how you have led in your work with the EdLoC values and your complete application at https://www.strongerconsulting.com/opportunities.html
Priority application deadline of August 1, 2019.
EdLoC is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. EdLoC does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.